Friday 2 November 2012

Film Noir moodboard

At the start of the brief we looked at several examples of Noir films, more than shown here but mainly I immediately thought of films like Sin City and The Spirit. Two, what I thought were noir films directed by Frank Miller. I later learnt that they're referred to as neo noir films though.


"Neo-noir (English: New-black; from the Greek neo, new; and the French noir, black) is a style often seen in modern motion pictures and other forms that prominently utilize elements of film noir, but with updated themes, content, style, visual elements or media that were absent in films noir of the 1940s and 1950s." - source from wikipedia page

However I carried on because they fit the genre still, just a more modern take, which is what we're doing with our brief.
So I took Sin City and The Black Dahlia out of the library to watch, thinking of the camera angles, lighting, the general mis en scene. I found them good for music too as I've previously posted.
I've also put L.A. Noire in my moodboard, mainly because it was another immediate thought when we had the genre at first. The music and the cut scene camera angles would've been something to look at, although I haven't done during this brief.
D.O.A. is where I was inspired for the opening shot as I've also previously posted.
...And some other film noir images.

Notes I made from our genre;


"Noir
Film noir is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. A lot of the stylistic elements and production design reference genres like German Expressionism, and the pre and post World War II creative vision of European émigrés filmmakers.

Orsen Welle’s  - ‘Touch of Evil’, ‘The Third Man’ "

Film Noir examples
The Third Man – love affair
Touch of Evil
Sin City -
The Spirit – masked vigilante/detective
The Big Sleep
The hardboiled detective
The night and the city
The naked city
Little Caesar
The postman always rings twice
The big Heat
The Set-up
Gun Crazy
D.O.A.
The Big Combo
 


No comments:

Post a Comment