Tuesday 9 October 2012

1920s character design





I started by working from a film still of 'The Artist' as you can see above I sketched out the character, then inked it, then inked it again with more detail however I found that the 3rd drawing lost some of the details my initial sketch had. I also made a few mistakes in terms of proportions and features I had in my initial drawings which hadn't come through to my ink drawings. Which lead to me redrawing my character and then rethinking the colours I was going to use. So I did my drawing again as you can see in the 4th and 5th images.

Amelia 'Minnie' Brown is an aspiring actress, inspired by the film stars of the 1920s (Clara Bow, Alice Joyce).
 

She's in her early 20s.
Naive and hopeful.
One of the 'flapper girls' (short dresses, bobbed hair, listens to jazz, excessive makeup, drinking, treats sex in a casual manner, smokes and drives automobiles).
She avoids illegal activities but finds herself involved regardless.
'Minnie' is her stage/nickname.
A nice girl, usually allows others to get their way.

1 comment:

  1. I see what you mean. the fourth and fifth ones are much better, you've made her more feminine. I know flappers were known to bind their chests, but 1-3 look masculine. Great work Edwin. :)

    ReplyDelete